Attics are a magnet for pests of all kinds. From rodents to spiders, these creatures love to nest in the nooks and crannies of your attic in an attempt to escape cooler weather and the elements.
Attic infestations can lead to a variety of issues for your home and health. That's why it's important to understand what pests could be invading your attic and how to recognize the signs of an invasion.
Common Attic Pests
One of the most common pests to find in an attic is rats. These rodents love to hide and feed off the stored food items or insulation materials found there. Other animals commonly found in attics include mice, bats, squirrels, possums, raccoons, birds, and even owls.
Pests not only have the ability to quickly reproduce and cause damage to walls, wiring, and other structural elements of your home, but they may also pose a threat to your family's health as well.
For example, rats have been known to carry over 35 different diseases that can be passed on through contaminated food and water or simply by inhaling the smell of their urine and droppings!
Read More: 5 Facts About Rodents and Infestations
Identifying the Pests in Your Attic
When dealing with attic pests, it is important to identify which creature has invaded your space. Here are some of the most common signs that you may have an infestation:
- Strange noises coming from the walls or ceiling
- A smell of urine
- Gnaw marks on stored items or furniture
- Nests made of paper, bits of cloth, and other materials from around your home
If you notice these signs around your home and attic and suspect an infestation, it is important to seek help from a pest control expert as soon as possible. Teams like Paragon Pest Control will be able to identify the pests and provide treatment recommendations.
Dealing With an Infestation
Once you discover the pests living in your attic, it is essential to take action right away to prevent any further damage or health risks. Here are a few steps you can take:
- Remove any food sources that may be attracting the pest
- Seal off potential entry points with caulk and wire mesh
- Work with your pest control team to figure out a plan of action
Keeping Pests Out of the Attic
Remember that prevention is always the best way to keep pests away. Once the infestation has been taken care of, it is important to take steps to prevent future infestations. Here are some tips for keeping pests out of your attic:
- Make sure that all cracks and crevices in walls and attics are sealed shut
- Check for any holes around door frames or windows and fill them in
- Make sure that all food and garbage are stored away properly and not left out in the open
- Trim back any trees or shrubs that are close to your home, as these can provide easy access for pests
- If you have a pet, make sure to keep their food sealed and away from the attic
Don't let pests take over your home. With these tips, you can help make sure that your attic remains an inhospitable place for any unwanted guests!
Pest Control in Grand Prairie, TX
Attic infestations can be incredibly difficult to deal with, but by understanding what creatures are living in your attic and taking the necessary steps to remove them, you can protect your home from further damage and keep your family safe.
The Paragon Pest Control team is here to ensure you are never suffering through an infestation for long! Give us a call at (972) 449-4233 to discuss your pest control needs and schedule an appointment today.